Hair loss is a problem commonly encountered in men and women of all age groups. Hair loss is a problem that can occur due to multiple potential causes such as mineral deficiencies, dietary issues, severe stress or illness, environmental pollutants, medications, using chemical-laden products and treatments, genetics, etc. Facing hair loss on a continual basis not only affects your personality but also leads to low self-esteem.
All those who are tired of spending thousands of rupees on different products for treating hair loss, we have brought forward this blog that will familiarize you with some of the best and most effective tips that will help you prevent hair loss.
Top 10 Tips to Prevent Hair Loss
We will now familiarize you with some of the best tips to prevent hair loss:
1. Ditch Heat Styling Tools/Limit the Use of Heat Styling Tools: If you are experiencing severe hair fall, you must either limit the use of heat styling tools or ditch them completely. Excessive use of heat styling tools steals away the moisture from your hair making them dull, dry and brittle. Using heat styling tools such as dryers, straightening, and curling irons, etc frequently dehydrates the hair making them brittle that leads to incessant hair fall.
It is wise to ditch the heat styling treatments when experiencing hair fall on a continual basis. It is wise to dry your hair in natural sunlight and instead opt for rollers and thermal products that help to lock in the moisture in your hair.
2. Ditch Chemical Treatments: It is wise to ditch chemical treatments that extensively damage your hair and deprive them of their moisture and nutrients. Ditch chemical treatments such as perms, dyes, hair colors, bleaches, etc since they cause extensive damage to the hair shaft thereby weakening them that makes them brittle and imparts them a lusterless and dull appearance. You must try to stick to your natural hair color and style and avoid chemical treatments in case you are experiencing severe hair loss or hair thinning problem.
3. Avoid Hairstyles that Pull on the Hairline: Sophisticated and complex hairstyles cause damage to your hair shaft, pull your hair and cause hair loss. It is wise to avoid complex hairstyles such as tight ponytails, cornrows, braids and other hairstyles that pull off your delicate hairs too tightly and opt for simple hairstyles instead.
4. Massage Your Scalp with Oil Regularly: It is wise to routinely massage your hair with nourishing oils such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, almond, mustard, tea tree or olive oil to improve circulation in the scalp and keep the hair follicles active that will, in turn, stimulate hair growth. Massaging your scalp with a nourishing oil daily or twice or thrice a week and letting the oil rest on your hair for a few hours before washing your hair is an effective step to replenish your hair with a plenty of nutrients, maximize hair growth potential and prevent hair loss.
5. Stick to A Healthy and Nourishing Diet rich in Proteins and Antioxidants: What you eat definitely impacts your hair condition and it is wise to stick to a nourishing and healthy diet to promote the growth of shinier, thicker, beautiful and radiant hair and prevent hair loss. It is wise to consume a diet rich in proteins, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Consider incorporating green leafy veggies, citrus fruits, fresh fruit juices, salmon, egg yolk, sardines, fish, nuts, Vitamin B12 rich foods, Vitamin C, spinach, etc in your diet that will help nourish your hair and help revitalize thinning strands.
Further, avoid consuming processed foods, fried and oily foods that can damage your hair and stick to a nourishing and healthy diet.
6. Ditch Hot Showers: You may not be aware of the fact that hot showers deprives the hair of its moisture and natural oils, makes it brittle and imparts it a lusterless and dull appearance. It is wise to ditch hot showers and instead rinse your hair with cold or lukewarm water to revitalize the strands, refresh your scalp and prevent hair loss.
7. Stick to a Mild Shampoo and Conditioner/Use Hair Products that restore Hair Growth: It is wise to choose the right shampoo and conditioner if you really want to get rid of hair loss problem. Consider ditching shampoos and conditioners that are rich in sulfates and sulfonates since they damage the hair extensively.
Check the ingredients in the shampoo and conditioner before picking them and consider picking mild shampoos and conditioners that help enhance the blood circulation to the scalp, replenish the hair with essential nutrients and promote the growth of shinier, beautiful, thicker and radiant hair.
8. Stick to Soft Hairbrushes and Wide-Toothed Combs and Comb your hair gently: The way you comb your hair greatly impacts your overall hair condition. Pick a wide-toothed comb or a hairbrush with soft bristles and gently comb your hair while making sure not to pull the strands too hard while removing the tangles.
9. Rethink the Way you Wash your Hair: Majority of us commit the mistake of going for a hair wash on a daily basis just to look impressive and pretty. However, washing your hair on a routine basis steals away the moisture and natural oils produced in the scalp from the hair and makes them brittle, dull, dry and lusterless.
Limit your hair wash regime to twice or thrice a week and it is wise oiling it with a nourishing oil and allowing the oil to rest on your scalp for a few hours before proceeding for a hair wash to prevent hair loss and replenish the hair with its essential nutrients.
10. Go for Natural Hair Masks/Use Topical Treatments: Using natural hair masks is one of the effective ways to replenish the hair with all its essential nutrients, promote the growth of shinier, beautiful and thicker hair and prevent hair loss. It is wise to prepare hair masks from natural ingredients such as avocado, yogurt, mayonnaise, fenugreek seeds, aloe vera juice, neem, onion, olive oil, ginger, green tea, rosemary, nettle tea, banana, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, curry leaves, etc. Consider applying the natural hair mask on your hair for a few minutes/hours and rinse your hair off with cold water thereafter.
Deep conditioning your hair with topical treatments and natural hair masks will revitalize your strands, replenish your hair with the essential nutrients and promote the growth of shinier, radiant and thicker hair.
11. Keep Yourself Hydrated: Water miraculously works for hair and it is essential to keep yourself hydrated with plenty of water intake to promote the growth of thicker, radiant, beautiful and shinier hair. Drink at least 15-20 glasses of water each day and increase your water intake through foods such as citrus fruits, leafy vegetables such as broccoli, cucumber, eggplant, tomato, zucchini, carrots, reddish, etc, and water-rich foods such as watermelon, melon, etc.
Keep your body adequately hydrated to prevent hair loss and promote thicker and shinier hair growth.
12. Retain Moisture through Hot Oil Treatments: One of the potential causes of excessive hair fall is a deficiency of nutrients and hot oil massage serves as one of the most effective ways to prevent hair loss and promote the growth of shinier, thicker and radiant hair. Consider giving your hair a hot oil treatment with any of the nourishing oils such as olive, coconut, almond, rosemary, lavender or jojoba oils by applying hot oil on your scalp and allowing it to stand for a few minutes prior to rinsing your hair with cold water.
Protect your Hair with Hats, Caps, and Clothing: Every time you step out of your home, your hair gets exposed to the harsh ultraviolet rays of the sun and environmental pollutants that can extensively damage your hair and impart it a lusterless and dull appearance.
It is wise to cover your hair with hats, caps and a piece of clothing while stepping out in the sun and consider wearing a swim cap when going out for swimming to protect your hair from damage by chlorinated water.
Reduce Stress/Meditate: Stress is one of the major causes that contribute to hair fall. You must try to keep yourself calm and composed and avoid taking stress by engaging in physical activities, swimming, meditation and exercising to keep your mind calm and promote the growth of shinier and thick hair.
Conclusion: We hope that going through this blog will definitely familiarize you with some of the best tips for preventing hair loss.